Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The good, the bad, and the impossible

It's been 2 weeks working in Yokohama now so time for an update on how wonderfully and horribly things are going.  I don't normally complain, but there will be some complaining...I feel it's worth mentioning though.

THE GOOD:

- I am now in a share house, so I have my own room but share the other common areas with the other apartment residents.  It's super close to 2 stations, I have a bed, and AC.  If you continue reading you'll understand why those 3 things are so important...

- Teaching is going incredibly well!! I've gotten the hang of it and my lessons go well far more than having poor ones. I've even had one request! I think I'm learning more from my students than they learn from me, but everyone seems happy at the end of the day so we're on the right track.

- I have now mastered the train situation. It seems incredibly daunting at first, but now I can get myself to work and to Tokyo no problem.

- My Japanese is slowly improving.  Still can't have a meaningful conversation, but I can get things I need, ask and answer basic questions, etc. Plus my reading is getting much quicker with all the practice!

- I had a straight perm!!! It's been a lifesaver and I'm obsessed with it. Everyone should have one!!

THE BAD:

- The house I was originally living in was hell. The 2 teachers from school who were there were amazing, such sweet girls and so glad to have them as friends.  If it wasn't for them I would have probably left the house or Japan within about 3 days.  I was living in a small room with no AC or air of any kind, the air mattress I had wouldn't hold air so I was balancing on it every night or essentially on the floor, and it was a 30-45 min walk to the stations and work.  In the 95+ heat it was unbearable.  Add that to the fact that the landladies ex-husband has video cameras on the front door and has hired private investigators to LITERALLY FOLLOW US TO WORK......I completely broke down and moved out after only 2 weeks.  And yes, people not only followed us to work to see who we were, they also came to the door and would ask us who we were and what we were doing there....that was the last straw for me.  But I'm gone forever now so yay!!

- My Japanese, while improving, is still super basic.  I can't read things that aren't in katakana/hiragana, I can't ask things/answer things...I feel very touristy most of the time.  

- I have no way of meeting people/getting out much due to the language barrier.  Now that I'm more settled I can ready start studying in earnest.


So that's all I have for now.  I am sure there is more but I've only had one nights sleep on a real bed so I'm still completely out of it. More later!

2 comments:

  1. Emma, I'm so glad you were able to move out! I can't believe the landlord's husband had people follow you! WTH?! That's weird. And no air conditioning would be intolerable. So happy you found another place. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog Emma.

    ReplyDelete