Saturday, August 3, 2013

A REAL update this time

Now that some of the excitement (actually none) has calmed down I needed to provide a real update about how this all came about that I'll be moving in a week with yet another company.

About 2 weeks ago I began interviewing with a private conversation school that is located in Yokohama.  They cater to upper class families and the majority of their students have lived in English speaking countries, or are preparing to move.  I won't name the school right now, as I don't know their policy on sharing employment info on social media.  They only hire teachers who have a minimum of 2 years teaching experience, though typically more.  The school is picking up a lot of new students so they were planning to hire 3-4 teachers to start in the next month or so.  I literally applied on a whim.  I have absolutely no teaching experience, nor do I have a degree in education, nor do I live in Japan.  However, they still wanted to interview with me.

The initial Skype interview was with the owner, and he began by putting it right out there, "Why should I hire you when you aren't qualified at all?"  I had several good points to make about that, and the interview went incredibly well.  I was impressed with how he handles the school, with the ethics of the company, and felt that it would be a great place to work.  I then set up an interview with his general manager, who was Japanese.  I assume that was mainly to see if I could clearly express myself to a non-native speaker as well as be professional.  She was really sweet and we also had a great interview.  In addition to this I was asked to write a 1 page paper on why they should hire me regardless of my lack of experience.  They literally asked the public relations major to write a paper convincing them of their worth.  They were quite impressed by it...so I guess my college education paid off!

That brings us up to last night when I had my 'final interview' with the owner.  He was very honest with me that he was incredibly impressed with me.  They had received over 100 applicants for these 3-4 positions, and I was the least qualified out of all of them.  Others had masters degrees, 5+ years experience in Japan, etc.  However, he kept being drawn back to me, and essentially said I had the job (but not officially) and he'd be making his final decisions on Tuesday.

This morning I woke up to an email offering me the position as well as asking if I could arrive by the 13th to train with the head teacher!!  I ran downstairs to tell my parents and have a little celebration followed by near heart attack as we discussed all that needed to be done to move me out of the country for good in a week!  And to top it all off, they've secured a room for me in a large home to stay in until I can find a place of my own.  There is NOTHING that could be better about this position, and I'm so happy to finally be going with a company I have no reservations about :)

I've been to Yokohama before, it's about 30 min from Tokyo by train, and really liked the size of it.  Plus the house I'll be living in is gorgeous and out in more of a suburb, so I'll have some quiet out of the city.  I CANNOT HANDLE HOW EXCITED I AM.

The plane ticket was bought (one way!!) and extreme shopping/packing/organizing has begun!!

7 days and I'll be in the land of the rising sun sipping on green tea and munching curry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment